Course sections are customisable areas within the Courses page which can be used to display text and other types of media, provide quick access to all available courses or display a unique selection of courses aimed only at specific user groups. This guide will take you through the basics of creating a new course section.
Step 1 - Navigate
You can find the course section area on your platform by going to the following, whilst logged in as a site administrator:
Site Administration > Courses > RoadMap > Manage layout
Step 2 - Create
From within the “Manage Layout” page, you’ll now be able to see the same page as shown below, albeit, the content included within the page may be slightly different for your organisation.
In order to create a new course section, you need to click the “Add new section” button in the top right of the page. You’ll then need to provide the following information in order to create the section.
- Section name - This is the name of the course section. Shown to users on the Courses page and to site administrators within the Manage Layout page.
- Content type
- Course - The Course content type allows you to group one or more courses into a single course section.
- Text - This allows you to add a text area to your Courses page.
- Conditional course - Display course sections to users based on profile fields from within your platforms hierarchy.
- Course dispatcher plans - This is an outdated feature which has been replaced with Conditional Courses.
- Image - This allows you to add an image to your Courses page.
- Number of rows of courses to display as standard - This allows you to dictate the number of rows of courses to be shown on the Courses page, by default, we recommend using 1 row of courses to avoid over cluttering the Courses page.
- Display on block to
- Everyone - All site users will be able to this course section
- Administrators - Only site administrators will be able to see this course section
- Hidden - This section is hidden and is not visible on the Courses page.
- Allow direct access - If you want to create links to this course section and to make it accessible to your users from elsewhere on your site then you can select “Yes”. If you require the course section to only be accessible from the Courses page then select “No”.
Managing course sections
You can alter the positioning of course sections within the Courses page by going to the Manage Layout page highlighted at the beginning of the guide and using the “Drag ‘n drop” icon to the left of the section name. Once you’ve moved the positioning of the section, this will automatically save and display the course sections as specified.
If you wish to delete a course section, you can do this from within the Manage Layout page. To do this, click on the “Bin” icon to the right of the course section name, shown under the heading “Actions”.
Step 3 - Save
Following the steps highlighted above, you’ll now have a new course section created within the Manage Layout page of your site. This will look similar to the section shown below.
If this course section is set to be visible to users then all users on your site will be able to see the new course section from the “Courses” page on your site, as shown in the screenshot below.