The quiz activity is a powerful tool that enables you to create quizzes with various question types, such as multiple choice, matching, short-answer, and numerical. You have the flexibility to allow multiple attempts, shuffle or randomly select questions from a question bank, and set time limits. You can also customise the display of hints, feedback, and correct answers to students. In this guide we’ll be covering the basics of adding a Quiz activity to an existing course.
Step 1 - Adding the activity
With the course page open, you’ll now need to follow the steps below in order to add the Quiz activity to the course:
- Enable “Editing mode” using the toggle in the top right corner of the course page
- Click the “Add an activity or resource” button under the chosen topic (section) you wish to add the activity to
- Select the “Quiz” activity from the list of activity types
Step 2 - Activity setup
After selecting the Quiz activity, the Quiz activity creation page will open. Here you’ll need to provide all the information required for each section marked with an exclamation mark, all other sections are optional. We’ll take a look at each of the key sections below:
General - In this section you’ll need to provide the essential Quiz information such as the name of the Quiz and a description if required.
Grade - Within this section, “Grade to pass” is the only option that needs to be set for a user to complete the activity. We recommend that you have 1 mark per correct answer. Therefore the “Grade to pass” should be set with this in mind. For example, if there are 5 correct answers in your quiz, set the grade to pass as 5.00.
Activity completion - From this section, you’ll be able to establish the criteria for Quiz completion. You can make changes to the requirements for activity completion by setting it to either:
- Do not indicate activity completion - This will remove the activity completion for this activity and should be used in cases where activity completion tracking is not required.
- Student can manually mark the activity as complete - This option will enable the user to mark the activity as complete from outside the activity and does not require a user attempt.
- Show activity as complete when conditions are met - This will allow you to look for criteria being output by the Quiz. We recommend using the settings below:
Step 3 - Save
Once you have adjusted your settings to your preference, you can then scroll to the bottom of the page and click save. This will return you to your course page where you can test your activity or move its positioning around within the course using the course navigation menu in the top left of your course page.