The Face-to-Face activity module provides a convenient way to track learning which takes place outside of your platform and in a face-to-face environment, this can include; meetings, presentations, virtual calls or any other forms of in-person training. Within the activity, each session can be customised with specific details such as location, venue, start and finish times, and capacity. Students can easily view and sign up for sessions, and their attendance can be tracked and recorded on the platform. In this guide we’ll be covering the basics of adding a Face-to-Face activity to an existing course.
Step 1 - Adding the activity
With the course page open, you’ll now need to follow the steps below in order to add the Face-to-Face activity to the course:
- Enable “Editing mode” using the toggle in the top right corner of the course page
- Click the “Add an activity or resource” button under the chosen topic (section) you wish to add the activity to
- Select the “Face-to-Face” activity from the list of activity types
Step 2 - Activity setup
After selecting the Face-to-Face activity, the Face-to-Face activity creation page will open. Here you’ll need to provide all the information required for each section marked with an exclamation mark, all other sections are optional. We’ll take a look at each of the key sections below.
General - In this section you’ll need to provide general information such as the name of the Face-to-Face activity and a description if required. It’s recommended to keep the naming relevant to the type of training/face-to-face activity involved and use the description to provide any additional information to users which may be useful such as how they can participate in the meeting or what they can expect after signing up. The description will appear when a user first clicks onto the activity, or on the course page if the option is selected.
Automatic email notifications (Request/ Confirmation/ Reminder/ Wait-listed/ Cancellation) - There are a range of different email notifications that can be automatically sent out from the system. Most are sent out by default, the only exception being the “Request message” which requires you to have the “Approval required” box ticked. Any messages which have the option to be sent out to managers will also need to have a tick in the “Send notice to manager” box. Each of the email notifications can be customised as required, but we recommend that you don't deviate too much from the format provided unless it is absolutely required to do so.
Activity completion - From this section, you’ll be able to establish the criteria for Face-to-Face completion. You can make changes to the requirements for activity completion by setting it to either:
- Do not indicate activity completion - This will remove the activity completion for this activity and should be used in cases where activity completion tracking is not required.
- Student can manually mark the activity as complete - This option will enable the user to mark the activity as complete from outside the activity and does not require a user attempt.
- Show activity as complete when conditions are met - This will allow you to look for criteria being output by the Face-to-Face session. We recommend using the settings below.
Step 3 - Save
Once you have adjusted your settings to your preference, you can then scroll to the bottom of the page and click save. This will return you to your course page where you can test your activity or move its positioning around within the course using the course navigation menu in the top left of your course page.